When you catch a cold and cough a lot, you may find it very uncomfortable. What’s worse, cough may make it harder to sleep. So, you probably are looking for some recipes for homemade expectorant cough syrup to ease the cough.
However, not all recipes for homemade expectorant cough syrup are useful. The key is to keep hydrated and loosen up the mucus in the chest.
In fact, effective expectorants should contain at least one of the following things:
- Much water: keeps the body hydrated, and then the body function well.
- Honey: seems to loosen up the mucus. But it’s not suitable for children younger than 1 year old.
- Peppermint: contains menthol, which may help thin mucus too.
Many surveys (and some studies) have proved that these three things are helpful to suppress cough. But, they’re not enough for treatment; they just make you feel better.
Then, what’s the right recipe?
- A little honey (necessary)
- Lots of water (necessary)
- Some lemons (a perfect match for honey)
- Peppermint/Ginger/Ivy leaf
- Mix these things up in a small pot.
- Heat the syrup up until steaming.
- Let it cool.
- Pour it into a cup and enjoy!
Keywords: homemade expectorant cough syrup