What’s the Life Expectancy of a 60 Year Old with Ischemic Cardiomyopathy?

Q:

My father, 60 years old, has ischemic cardiomyopathy with 40% heart function and an LVEF of 20%. He had a STEMI last month and he also has LBBB. What’s his life expectancy?

A:

There are many factors affecting the survival rate for people with ischemic cardiomyopathy. If medicines, such as beta blockers medications, ACE medication and aspirin are given early in the condition, the patient is more likely to have a good prognosis.

There are some factors that can lead to a disappointing prognosis. The function of the left ventricle, the main pumping chamber of the heart, is one of the major predicators of outcome. In the information you provide, the patient has only 40% heart function and a poor left ejection fraction of 20%, so the outlook is not good.

According to a new study, a patient with a LVEF of less than 40% has a 2.5 more chance of death within the first year following the infarction. For some patients with an EF of less than 40%, the risk of complications within 6 months is as high as 20%. Although LVEF is considered as a clear indicator, LBBB further illustrates the serious condition.

If risk factors such as hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes and smoking are strictly controlled, prognosis of the patient will be improved.

 

Keywords: ischemic cardiomyopathy life expectancy

 

 

Related FAQs:

http://healthtopquestions.com/?p=4418

http://healthtopquestions.com/?p=4473

 

http://healthtopquestions.com/?p=4386

Leave a Reply