What are the risk factor of endometrial cancer?
The risk factors will increase the chance of getting endometrial cancer.
The biggest risk factor for most endometrial cancers is related to the hormone estrogen. Estrogen is not a risk factor for endometrial cancer when it is balanced with another hormone, progesterone. But the estrogen imbalance will increase the chance of having endometrial cancer.
Common risk factors include:
- Being obese: fat cells make extra estrogen, but the body can’t produce extra progesterone to balance it out.
- Taking estrogen without taking a progestin
- Taking tamoxifen
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Having naturally high levels of estrogen
Other thing that increases your risk include:
- Being older than 50
- Inheriting some kinds of genes
- Having endometrial hyperplasia
- Having type 2 diabetes
- Never having been pregnant
- Having previous radiation therapy to the pelvis
Keywords: endometrial cancer risk factors