What will happen when gonorrhea left untreated?
In most cases, gonorrhea can be treated with antibiotics. However, untreated gonorrhea can lead to significant complications for both men and women.
Complications for men if left untreated:
- Infertility in men: Men can experience epididymitis, the inflammation of a small, coiled tube in the rear portion of the testicles where sperm ducts are located, thus leading to infertility.
- Contracting the human immunodeficiency virus: If left untreated, it can spread throughout the body through the bloodstreams.
Complications for women if left untreated:
- Infertility in women: Women can experience pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) that may obstruct the fallopian tubes, thus resulting in scarring of the tubes and higher risk of infertility.
Complications for both men and women if left untreated:
- Infections that spread to the joints and other areas of the body
- Increased risk of HIV/AIDS
Keywords: untreated gonorrhea men; untreatable gonorrhea