What medicines are effective in treating IBS with diarrhea (IBS-D)?
When you are diagnosed with IBS-D, never try to treat your IBS on your own.
As to which medicine to choose and how much to take, you should always consult your doctor.
The following are some common medical options:
- Imodium: works on diarrhea
- Bismuth subsalicylate: helps slow diarrhea
- Pain relief drugs such as
Xifaxan (rifaximin): an antibiotic effective in easing abdominal pain, diarrhea and bloating.
Viberzi (eluxadoline) works within your digestive system.
- Antidepressants: amitriptyline, imipramine (Tofranil), or nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor).
- Antispasmodics: drugs that relax muscles, such as dicyclomine (Bentyl) and hyoscyamine (Levsin), work for cause belly pain.
You should call your doctor instead of treating your condition on your own. Firstly, your doctor must make sure that your diarrhea is caused by IBS. Then consider all the side effects of the options and work with your doctor to find the best treatment for you.
Keywords: medications ibs diarrhea, medicines ibs diarrhea