What kind of diet is good for people who have COPD?
Eating a healthy diet is very helpful for you to relieve the symptoms of COPD. Besides, maintaining a healthy weight is especially important for you. Neither underweight or overweight is good. When you choose food, you have to pay attention to calories to see if it is enough for you.
Here are some diet guidelines:
- Eat a variety of healthy foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, diary products, and proteins. High-fiber foods are especially important. They help with digestion, control blood sugar levels, reduce cholesterol levels, and can help control weight.
- Drink plenty of water helps thin mucus, so you can cough it up easier. Most people need 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Ask about certain foods containing nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids, may help reduce inflammation and improve lung function.
- Avoid salt because salt makes your body retain water, which increases swelling. This makes breathing more difficult.
- Avoid foods that cause gas or bloating
- Avoid empty foods. Junk foods such as chips and candy don’t provide any nutritional value
Keyword: copd diet, diet copd