What is schizoaffective disorder?
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental disorder in which a person experiences a combination of schizophrenia symptoms, such as hallucinations or delusions, and mood disorder symptoms, such as depression or mania.
The two types of schizoaffective disorder are:
- Bipolar type: includes episodes of mania and sometimes major depression
- Depressive type: includes only major depressive episodes
Though, schizoaffective disorder symptoms may vary from person to person, the most common ones may include:
- Delusions, having false, fixed beliefs, despite evidence to the contrary
- Hallucinations, such as hearing voices or seeing things that aren’t there
- Depression, such as feeling empty, sad or worthless
- Periods of manic mood
- Impaired communication, such as answering questions or giving answers that are completely unrelated
- Impaired working and social functioning
- Inability to keep oneself clean and physical appearance tidy
If you think someone you know may have schizoaffective disorder symptoms, talk to that person about your concerns.
Keywords: schizophrenia affective disorder