What is myalgic encephalomyelitis?
Myalgic encephalomyelitis (also called chronic fatigue syndrome) is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue. That fatigue can not be improved by rest, and it will worsen with physical or mental activity.
- Loss of memory or concentration
- Sore throat
- Enlarged lymph nodes in your neck or armpits
- Unexplained muscle or joint pain
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Extreme exhaustion lasting more than 24 hours after physical or mental exercise
It can not be confirmed by a single test. You may need to exclude other problems that have the same symptoms by varieties of tests.
Causes of myalgic encephalomyelitis are still unknown. But there are several risk factors.
- Age:It mostly affects people in their 40s and 50s.
- Sex:Women are diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome much more often than men.
- Stress:Difficulty managing stress affects the development of myalgic encephalomyelitis.
No cure available currently. The aim of treatment is to relieve symptoms. The following methods may relieve your symptoms:
- Tai chi
But remember to consult your doctor before taking any action.
Don’t hesitate to visit doctor if you have persistent or excessive fatigue.
Keywords: myalgic encephalomyelitis; symptoms; diagnosis; risk factors; treatment.