What is anxiety during pregnancy?
Women who suffer anxiety during pregnancy don’t just have normal worries about the prospect of raising a child. Their nervousness can be severe enough to prevent them from functioning in everyday life.
About 10% women have anxiety during their pregnancy. Such anxiety is mainly caused by hormonal changes. The huge change in a pregnant woman’s life can also play a role.
- A strong and uncontrollable sense of anxiousness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sleep problems
- Tense muscles
Risk factors include:
- Traumatic experiences
- Personal history of anxiety or depression
- Family history of anxiety
- Excessive stress in daily life
- Consumption of certain drugs
If you suspect you have the condition, tell your doctor. Mild cases don’t need treatment, but severe ones may require medication.
Keyword: anxiety pregnancy