Leg cellulitis is an infection of the leg. It causes redness, swelling, warmth, and pain in your legs. In fact, leg cellulitis can happen to people of all ages, including children and elderly people. And you may have no idea that the leg is the most common area on the body for cellulitis to develop. Here are some information about antibiotics treatment and leg cellulitis home remedies.
Antibiotics treatment for leg cellulitis:
Oral antibiotics are usually the first choice. Normally, you will be relieved of the signs after taking antibiotics for a few days. However, you need to finish the course of 10 to 21 days to completely cure the cellulitis. These antibiotics include Cephalexin, Vancomycin, Bactrim, and Clindamycin.
However, you may need to stay in the hospital and receive antibiotics through your veins if:
- Signs and symptoms don’t respond to oral antibiotics
- Signs and symptoms are extensive
- You have a high fever
During the healing period, you should keep the infected leg in the air as long as you can. Also, cold compress can help reduce pain.
Leg cellulitis home remedies:
In addition to taking oral antibiotics, you can also try some home remedies. They are also effective in curbing the condition. However, you should first consult your doctor before choosing from the below options. Ask your doctor which remedies suit best to your condition:
- Warm compress – warm compress helps with your blood circulation. And it may also draw pus towards the surface and make the healing quicker.
- Coconut oil – it can fight off bacteria, keep the skin moist and soothe it. Apply a small amount directly on the affected areas.
- Turmeric – it is a super anti-inflammatory remedy. To use it, add a teaspoon to a glass of milk and drink it twice a day.
- Tea tree oil – It is believed to reduce inflammation and fight off bacteria. For best results, mix some aloe vera gel with tea tree oil and a teaspoon of honey. Apply directly before washing it off some hours later. Do this twice a day.
- Essential oils – They soothe the skin, keep it moist and prevent the spread of bacteria. For example, you can try lavender oil, oregano oil and rosemary oil.
- Water – it may seem strange that water is identified as a home remedy. Actually, it works by removing toxins from the body. Try to drink more water daily.
After all, you may need to remember that for any treatment (whether or not it belongs to leg cellulitis home remedies) to work, you need to stick to it for a few days. In fact, nothing works if you quit on the second day. Get better quickly.
Keywords: cellulitis leg treatment; leg cellulitis treatment; treatment cellulitis leg; treatments cellulitis legs