What are the treatments for juvenile dermatomyositis?
The treatments of juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM) are based on observational studies and clinical experience.
The medication treatment for JDM includes:
- High-dose oral prednisolone (up to 2 mg/kg/day in divided doses)
- Immunosuppressives, e.g. methotrexate (MTX) (15 mg per week, orally or subcutaneously)
- Intravenous methylprednisolone (IVMP) (10-30 mg/kg/day for 3-5 days)
- Intravenous immunoglobulin
Other adjunctive therapies in JDM include:
- Routine use of photo protection to prevent rash
- Rehabilitation exercises to improve muscle strength and aerobic exercise capacity
Please consult your doctor to specify the most suitable treatment for you.
Keyword: juvenile dermatomyositis treatment.