What are the symptoms of gender dysphoria?
Symptoms of gender dysphoria vary in different age groups.
In children, symptoms include:
- Insisting they are of the opposite sex
- Preferring playing with children of the opposite sex
- Preferring wearing clothes that are typical for the opposite sex
- Believing that their genitals will change into the ones of the opposite sex
In teenagers and adults, symptoms include:
- Strongly believing that their true gender is not in line with their body
- Having a desire to hide their genitals and other physical signs
- Feeling disgusted at their genitals and wanting to get rid of them
Key words: dysphoria; dysphoric