My child was just diagnosed with RHD. Is there anything I should know?
In order to help you know more about rheumatic heart disease (RHD), here provides some facts about it:
1. Strep throat infection can damage the hear valves and usually leads to RHD. It is usually known as an infection instead of a condition of the heart.
2. If the symptoms of strep throat fails to subside, it is important to consult a doctor to treat it properly. Otherwise, the risk of developing RHD will be increased.
3. Strep throat can lead to palpitation and breathlessness. Although the disease usually occurs in young people, do consult a doctor if you have those symptoms.
4. The infection of the heart usually causes severe pain, swelling and redness around the joint, which may also reduce mobility.
5. The patient diagnosed with RHD should receive penicillin injection immediately up to age 21-35. The injection should be taken every 28 days.
6. It can take years for symptoms to show up. Therefore, patients can develop this disease at a young age but are diagnosed years later.
Keywords: facts rheumatic heart disease; rheumatic heart disease facts