What are the facts about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a dominantly inherited heart disease.
- In the general population, HCM affects 1 out of 500 individuals.
- HCM is caused by mutation in any one of 12 genes and appears in 50% of individuals in each generation.
- HCM is the most common cause of sudden cardiac death in people younger than 30 years old.
- Children who are at the risk of HCM due to genetic factors are advised not to do intense exercise or participate in competitive activities.
- About 500,000 people have HCM in the US.
- HCM with severe complications can cause 1 death out of every 10 patients.
- Both men and women at any age can have HCM.
- The mortality rate for HCM in adults is about 1%.
- The mortality rate for HCM in children is about 6%
Keywords: hypertrophic cardiomyopathy facts