What are the best fever remedies?
A fever is your body’s natural response to fight off viruses and bacteria by weakening the germs and limiting their ability to reproduce.It also helps burn away toxins and stimulates the immune system.
If you’re suffering from a low fever, these natural remedies may help you keep cool and comfortable:
Drink it up
- When you have a fever, it’s easy to become dehydrated. Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day or enough to make your urine pale.
- Brew a cup of yarrow tea.
- Another herb, elderflower, also helps you sweat.
- Drink a cup of hot ginger tea, which also induces sweating. To make the tea, steep a half-teaspoon minced gingerroot in 1 cup just-boiled water. Strain, then drink.
Keep it cool
- Doctors advise against lowering your body temperature too quickly, if you try this remedy, use slightly cool, not cold, water.
Make it spicy
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper on your foods when you have a fever.
Soak your socks
- Try the wet-sock treatment, a popular folk remedy for fever. First warm your feet in hot water. Then soak a thin pair of cotton socks in cold water, wring them out, and slip them on just before going to bed. Put a pair of dry wool socks over the wet ones.
While you can handle most fevers at home, you should call 911 immediately if you also have severe dehydration with blue lips, tongue, or nails; severe headache; hallucinations or difficulty walking; difficulty breathing; or seizures.
Keyword: best fever remedies