Solifenacin reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Solifenacin is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, and incontinence (urine leakage).
Solifenacin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
You should not use solifenacin if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma;
- a stomach disorder causing delayed emptying; or
- if you are unable to urinate.
To make sure solifenacin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver disease;
- kidney disease;
- trouble emptying your bladder (or you have a weak stream of urine);
- slow digestion;
- a blockage in your stomach or intestines; or
- a history of long QT syndrome.
It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine.
It is not known whether solifenacin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using solifenacin.
Solifenacin is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using solifenacin and call your doctor at once if you have:
- severe stomach pain, or constipation for 3 days or longer;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- vision changes, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;
- little or no urination;
- dehydration symptoms–feeling very thirsty or hot, being unable to urinate, heavy sweating, or hot and dry skin;
- high potassium–nausea, slow or unusual heart rate, weakness, loss of movement; or
- severe skin reaction–fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Common side effects may include:
- blurred vision;
- dry mouth;
- constipation; or
- pain or burning when you urinate.