Is it possible to prevent dry socket?
The prevention of developing a dry socket may be influenced by the methods used by the dentist or surgeon performing the tooth extraction.
Such preventive methods include:
- Placement of a packing with antibiotic at surgery;
- Placement of sutures to protect the blood clot.
After extraction, a few daily habits should be avoided:
- Drinking with a straw
- Vigorous spitting or rinsing
- Performing this procedure during the menstrual period
In addition, several things that you should do are as follows:
- Have a soft diet
- Keep the area as clean as possible with gentle rinsing
- Follow any special instructions given by the dentist or surgeon in caring for the extraction site at home.
Please consult your doctor for more information.
Keywords: dry socket diagnosed.