Imodium A-D (loperamide) slows the rhythm of digestion so that the small intestines have more time to absorb fluid and nutrients from the foods you eat. It is used to treat diarrhea and to reduce the amount of stool in people who have an ileostomy (re-routing of the bowel through a surgical opening in the stomach).
What should you know before taking this medicine?
You should not use Imodium A-D if you are allergic to loperamide, or if you have:
- Stomach pain without diarrhea;
- Diarrhea with a high fever;
- Ulcerative colitis;
- Diarrhea that is caused by a bacterial infection; or
- Stools that are bloody, black, or tarry.
Do not give Imodium A-D to a child younger than 2 years old. Also do not give this medicine to an older child or teenager without a doctor’s advice.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to use this medicine if you have:
- A fever;
- Mucus in your stools;
- Liver disease; or
- AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome).
Ask your doctor before using Imodium A-D to treat diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile.
Ask your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
You should not breast-feed while you are using loperamide.
Do not take more than the recommended dose of this medicine. Misuse of loperamide can cause serious heart problems that could be fatal. Serious heart problems may also happen if you take Imodium A-D with other medicines. Ask a doctor or pharmacist about safely using medications together.
In addition, you should avoid:
- Drinking tonic water.
- Becoming dehydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Vigorous exercise or exposure to hot weather if you are dehydrated.
- Driving or hazardous activity until you know how this medicine will affect you.
Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
- Diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- Stomach pain or bloating;
- Ongoing or worsening diarrhea; or
- Fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest, shortness of breath, and sudden dizziness (like you might pass out).
Common Imodium A-D side effects may include:
- Dizziness, drowsiness;
- Nausea; or
- Stomach cramps.
Keywords: imodium A-D; loperamide