Hydrocortisone is a topical steroid that reduces the actions of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation.
Hydrocortisone topical is used to treat inflammation of the skin caused by a number of conditions such as allergic reactions, eczema, or psoriasis. Hydrocortisone topical will not treat skin infections.
many brands and forms of hydrocortisone topical available. Not all brands are
listed on this leaflet.
topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use hydrocortisone topical
if you are allergic to hydrocortisone.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe
for you to use this medicine if you have:
- liver disease; or
- problems with your adrenal gland.
Do not use this medicine on a child without
Ask a doctor before using this medicine if
you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Your skin can
absorb topical medicine, which may cause steroid side effects throughout the
body. Stop using hydrocortisone topical and call your doctor if you have:
- weight gain (especially in your face or your upper back and torso);
- slow wound healing, thinning skin, increased body hair;
- irregular menstrual periods, changes in sexual function; or
- muscle weakness, tired feeling, depression, anxiety, feeling irritable.
absorb larger amounts of hydrocortisone topical through the skin and may be
more likely to have side effects.
effects may include:
- acne, skin redness;
- mild burning, tingling or prickly feeling;
- changes in skin color; or
- dryness or cracking of treated skin.