There are no specific Deep Vein Thrombosis home remedies for the removal of blood clot, but DVT should not be overlooked merely as a blood clot as in worst cases of PE (Pulmonary Embolism) the situation becomes life threatening.
For the first 15 – 20 days you have to depend upon the treatment given by doctors.
- • Usually the first drug given to the patient is HEPARIN.
- • If heparin is given through a vein (IV), you must stay in the hospital.
- • Newer forms of heparin can be given by injection once or twice a day. You may not need to stay in the hospital as long, or at all, if you are prescribed this newer form of heparin.
- • Another drug called Warfarin (Coumadin) or any anti coagulant (as suggested by the physician) is also started along with heparin. These anticoagulants keep more clots from forming or old ones from getting bigger. Generally, these drugs do not dissolve clots.
- • Most likely warfarin is administered for minimum 3 months but in some cases people have to take it for the rest of their lives.
Although no natural remedies are there which can cure DVT, but some can help in the process of blood thinning and prevention of the disease. Here our primary goal is to prevent the disease from re occurring.
Some of the home remedies for DVT prevention from re occurrence are:
- • Regular intake of a glass of water with 1 tbsp lemon juice and chopped slices of ginger is the easiest solution for blood clot problem. Lemon and ginger is blood circulation improver.
- • Have one garlic clove daily as it has favorable effects on cardiac factors.
- • Keep your body hydrated with the intake of lots of water.
- • Cold water fish should be preferred over other animal proteins.
- • Most useful herb for improving the circulation of blood is ashvaganda. Hence, it works as one of the most effective home remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) natural treatment.
- • Broccoli being rich in fiber content is considered good for cardio vascular patients.
- • An aggravated stress hormone narrows down the blood vessels. Celery is an active compound and helps in reducing the stress hormone and should be included in diet.
- • Proper vascular state is maintained with the proper amount of Vitamin C in the body.
- • Banana, apricot, spinach juice help in keeping the blood pressure normal.
- • Skimmed milk should be used, as non skimmed milk offers extra fat which deposits on the walls of blood vessels thereby thinning their diameter.
- • Capsicum and pepper help in preventing the platelets to stick together, so you can also include them in your diet.
- • Prepare a juice of leaves of spinach and one part each of pepper, garlic and clove. This is one of the best herbal remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
- • Use mustard oil, canola oil instead of high fat cooking oils.
Dos and Don’ts for DVT
- • Avoid food rich in high Vitamin K.
- • Avoid smoking.
- • Avoid the intake of alcohol, as it dehydrates you.
- • Lose weight if overweight.
- • Control your blood pressure.
- • Wear compression stockings if advised by your doctor.
- • Avoid drinking too much coffee or tea.
- • Daily walk for 15 – 20 min.
- • Cut down your daily dose of margarine, processed foods.
- • Avoid long duration flights, if cannot then try walking on aisle after every 2 hours or so.
- • Don’t sit with an obstruction to the thigh muscle.
- • Elevate your leg up to 6 inches while sleeping.
- • Don’t sit idle for long time, move your legs.
- • Exercise your lower calf muscles, only after consulting your doctor.
- • Avoid doing risky things which may cause bleeding.