How many types of diarrhea?
Diarrhea is loose, watery stools (bowel movements). Everyone has it twice or three times each year. Depending on its duration, it can be either acute or chronic.
In fact, there are lots of types of diarrhea, including the ones we haven’t known. The most common ones are as following:
- Osmotic diarrhea: digestive system fails to absorb some elements in food such as sugars, sugar alcohols and certain minerals.
- Secretory diarrhea: the intestines release water and salt into the stool. To be specific, various kinds of infections are the causes.
- Exudative diarrhea: irritation or inflammation of the lining of the colon causes the release of blood and other fluids. Common causes: inflammatory bowel disease, some cancers or tuberculosis.
- Paradoxical darrhea: a false indication of diarrhea. The symptoms seem like diarrhea but actually the complication is constipation.
- Pseudo darrhea: This is an induced diarrhea whose causes include overuse of laxatives and others.
Actually, it is normal that different types of diarrhea occur at the same time.
To determine which one you get, try to find out the causes of your symptoms, or if possible, with the help of your doctor.
Keywords: types diarrhea