There are several risk factors to be considered.
· You’re a young adult, as idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension is more common in younger adults
· You’re overweight
· You have a family history of the disease
· You have one of various conditions that can increase your risk of developing pulmonary hypertension
· You use illegal drugs, such as cocaine
· You take certain appetite-suppressant medications
· You have an existing risk of developing pulmonary hypertension, such as a family history of the condition, and you live at a high altitude