Do I Need the Doctor’s Help for Treating Drug Abuse?

Call or other emergency services right away if you or someone else:

Has overdosed or has withdrawal signs. Be sure to tell the emergency workers that you are or someone else is using or trying to quit using drugs. Overdose or withdrawal signs may include:
Seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations).
Call your doctor if:

You think you have a problem with drugs.
You are having withdrawal symptoms. These may include nausea or vomiting, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety.

Who can treat a drug problem?

Health professionals who can diagnose, prescribe medicine for, and treat drug abuse problems include:

General practitioners.
Physician assistants.
Nurse practitioners.
Psychologists and drug counselors. These professionals cannot prescribe medicine.
Counseling usually is part of treatment. This can be done by:

Social workers.
Licensed mental health counselors.

Watchful waiting

Watchful waiting is a wait-and-see approach. If you get better on your own, you won’t need treatment. If you get worse, you and your doctor will decide what to do next.

Watchful waiting is not a good choice for drug abuse and dependence. If you have a drug problem, or if you believe that your health or other areas of your life are being affected by drugs, you need to take steps to stop using drugs.





substance abuse; health; drug alcohol treatment centers; alcohol rehab; inpatient drug rehab; rehabs; addiction rehab; inpatient drug rehab centers; drug rehab treatment; alcohol rehab centers; drug treatment centers; drug addiction rehab; addiction treatment centers; alcohol treatment centers; addiction treatment centers; best inpatient drug rehab centers; drug treatment facility