Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.
The effectiveness ratings for DEER VELVET are as follows:
Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness for…
- Athletic performance. Early research suggests that taking deer velvet extract or powder by mouth for 10 weeks does not improve strength or aerobic capacity in active males undergoing strength training. However, there may be small improvements in knee extension strength.
- Sexual desire. Early research suggests that taking deer velvet powder by mouth for 12 weeks does not improve sexual function or desire in people in stable relationships.
- Muscle aches and pains.
- Immune system function.
- High cholesterol.
- High blood pressure.
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of deer velvet for these uses.
Special precautions & warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking deer velvet if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Deer velvet might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use deer velvet.
Interaction with medication
- Birth control pills (Contraceptive drugs)
- Some birth control pills contain estrogen. Deer velvet might have some of the same effects as estrogen. However, deer velvet isn’t as strong as the estrogen in birth control pills. Taking deer velvet along with birth control pills might decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. If you take birth control pills along with deer velvet, use an additional form of birth control such as a condom.
Some of these drugs include ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel (Triphasil), ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35, Ortho-Novum 7/7/7), and others.
- Deer velvet might have some of the same effects as estrogen. But deer velvet isn’t as strong as estrogen pills. Taking deer velvet along with estrogen pills might decrease the effects of estrogen pills.
Some estrogen pills include conjugated equine estrogens (Premarin), ethinyl estradiol, estradiol, and others.