Presence of low or high creatinine levels in the blood:
- Any individual, man or woman, suffering from long-standing illnesses, severity in weight loss, malnutrition has relatively lower blood creatinine levels. The reason being the diminishing muscle mass.
- Muscle development varies in infants, and so does the blood creatinine levels. A normal range is 0.2 or more.
- Elderly individuals have a relatively lower presence of blood creatinine levels than normal.
- Middle-aged and youngsters with good muscle build tend to have more creatinine levels.
Reference values for serum creatinine:
- A value for creatinine is 10 mg/dl in non -dialysis patient.
- Children: 0.2 – 1.0 mg/dl: Creatinine values are proportional to body mass. There is a little increase with age.
- Adult females: 0.6 – 1.1 mg/dl: creatinine clearance increases during pregnancy, This shows low levels of serum.
- Adult males: 0.8 – 1.4 mg/dl: Due to the presence of large muscle mass, values are generally high.