Low blood sodium (hyponatremia) means abnormally low amount of sodium in your blood. It is common among old elders especially those who are hospitalized or living in care facilities for a lone time.
The causes of low blood sodium including
- Decreased function of the kidneys, liver or heart
- Certain cancers, including lung cancer
- Certain illnesses, such as pneumonia or urinary tract infections
- Underactive thyroid or adrenal glands
- Drugs that make you urinate more (diuretics)
- Some kinds of antidepressants