Can you talk about Decoding Dyslexia?
Decoding Dyslexia is a parent-led grassroots movement for dyslexia. It aims to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children and inform policy-makers on best practices to identify, remediate and support students with dyslexia.
Its goals include:
- A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
- Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
- Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
- Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
- Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia
Each state organizes and inspires its own local movement.
Keyword: decoding dyslexia