Can you give me a diabetes mellitus treatment guideline?
Treatments for all types of diabetes:
- Healthy eating.
- Physical activity.
Treatments for type 1 and type 2 diabetes:
- Monitoring your blood sugar. Depending on your treatment plan, you may check and record your blood sugar as many as four times a day or more often if you’re taking insulin. People with type 2 diabetes who aren’t taking insulin generally check their blood sugar much less frequently.
- Insulin. People with type 1 diabetes need insulin therapy to survive. Many people with type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes also need insulin therapy.
- Oral or other medications. Metformin (Glucophage, Glumetza, others) is generally the first medication prescribed for type 2 diabetes.
- Transplantation. In some people who have type 1 diabetes, a pancreas transplant may be an option.
- Bariatric surgery. People with type 2 diabetes who are obese and have a body mass index higher than 35 may benefit from this type of surgery.
For more info you can go to a specialist.
Keyword: diabetes mellitus treatment guideline